Balla Secondary School has a very rich and proud history. During the 19th and early 20th Century the estate was the home of the Lynch Blosse Family who were the local landlords. The old house served as a military hospital during WW1.
The school was founded by the St. Louis sisters in 1920. It catered for girls only and was a boarding & day school until the sisters left in 1978 and the school became co-educational under the control of the local community.
Balla Secondary School has established itself for providing excellent education in a caring environment. It is set in 20 acres of rural idyll and recently topped the Irish Times/Independent League Tables leader-board for college entry.
This academic strength reflects the small class sizes and the quality of the exceptionally well-qualified, enthusiastic and experienced teaching staff. The school offers a broad curriculum and had a wide range of extra-curricular activities for boys and girls.